Vasco de Gato

Vasco de Gato
Vasco de Gato

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Settling into a routine

So it's now Saturday and we've been home for a few days.  We are finally settling into a routine of when we get up. Eat in the study and then move to the 'crate' out in the living area for a bit so I can eat and clean up the coffee and breakfast of the morning.  He needs to get his pain killers and antibiotics as well.
It's sunny so I move the crate into the sun.  Most cats love their sun!  This makes him sleepy and he settles down.  His 'brother' Shadow settles next to him on the floor.
Today I also notice that he seems to have developed a 'diaper' rash!  Call the clinic and speak to a nurse.  So it goes that this can happen as they are peeing differently now and they must get used to that and will eventually squat a little differently.
They give me permission to use the MelaGel I have (natural product and has a little tea tree oil in it) because I don't have a baby thus no baby diaper stuff -  poor little guy :(

Sunday 11/6/11 - I decide that the only way he is going to be able to 'cure' his rash is to allow him to clean himself - safely.  So he will eat his breakfast without the lampshade and be given 20 or so minutes to clean himself.  I cup my fingers over the suture area so he cannot clean that area and irritate it, but he's happy and when he settles down to rest I put the lampshade back on.  We do this at dinner too.  I continue to dab his bum when he leaves the litter box.  He's finally having bowel movements, they are solid.

Cats create their own enzymes and I think that allowing him to produce these enzymes through licking activity is extremely helpful in his recovery.  It also appears that this may help him maintain his personality - cats must be cats!

No comments:

Post a Comment